Pages

Not So Average Dresser


Warning: this furniture makeover is not for the faint of heart.  If you have a heart condition, you might want to think twice before continue reading…


This is perhaps my quirkiest furniture makeover yet.  The inspiration all started with the funky green color I discovered in the mistint paint aisle of my all time favorite paint store - Benjamin Moore.  Did I ever mention that I make my own chalk paint out of mistints?  I must confess that I am addicted to using mistint paints for two great reasons:  1) Environmental friendlier.  I am recycling paints that for some reason other people don’t want;  2) Economical – you get the paints for a bargain.  It’s a win-win situation for me and the store.
So I bought this paint and I knew right away that wherever this paint is used, the end result will be funky, bold and risky.  Sounds like fun eh?  It didn’t take me long to decide which piece of furniture in my garage will be my latest experiment. 

 
I decided that since the green is so overpowering, white might be a good pairing color.  Initially, I was going to do the drawers all green.  But as I was stenciling the subway art one drawer at a time, out of nowhere an idea came to me to reverse the color in the middle drawer.  So here it is a green/white funky dresser with Shakespeare inspired subway art. 

 









I know I know.. this is not everyone’s cup of tea so I will not be offended if you dislike my dresser.  Personally, I had a lot of fun just letting my creativity went wild.  It was very liberating to do something different once in a blue moon.  I highly recommend you give it a try.  Mind you I would NEVER dare to try this on a high end, exquisite, expensive, antique... (you get what I mean) furniture.










Thanks to a reader who noticed the detailing I did on the inside of the dresser.  It might look like wallpaper but actually I used washi tape and sealed it with several coats of Mod Podge.  Hope that answer your question.. my "Anonymous" reader =)

 
 
Sharing with Pretty-PreppyBe-You-Tiful, Inspiration-ExchangeBeyond-The-Picket-FenceWow-Us-WednesdaysDIY-by-DesignTreasure-Hunt-Thursday, Miss-Mustard-SeedGet-Your-DIY-On and On-Display-Thursday link parties.

14 comments:

  1. That's pretty amazing. I'm not bold enough to put something like that in my room but I think it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. This dresser is definitely quite a departure from my other contemporary work. I had a lot of fun working on this... I could see it as a prop/display in a hip boutique clothing store or modern loft.

      Delete
  2. I noticed there's a green print pattern on the inside of the drawers. What did you use for that? Wall paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good...it is actually washi tape. I will update the blog with extra info.

      Delete
  3. This is one of the most fun ideas I've seen in a long time!
    LUV IT!!!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never be afraid of color, I say! I love it! I'd put that in my daughter's room in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It puts a smile on my face to hear comment like that. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Freaking Love IT!!!!!!! Thank you for linking up to On Display Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has just put a smile on my face. Thank you for hosting the link party and the opportunity to link up.

      Delete
  6. Ha! Very cute & creative :) And one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is great! Love the bold color and certainly one of a kind :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling! Love the re-do! I'm featuring your project as a feature from the Pretty Preppy Party tomorrow. Thanks for linking up! xx, b

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this....keeping this idea in my "great ideas" file!!

    ReplyDelete